The District of Fort St. James is located on the south shore of Stuart Lake in central British Columbia, Fort St. James is a municipality of 1400 residents and occupies lands that have been home of the Nak'azdli Whut'en people since time immemorial. The community is defined by the welcoming character and fun spirit of the people who live here as well as the beauty of the surrounding waters landscapes, and natural environments.
The District is seeking applications for the position of Tourism and Marketing Supervisor
Tourism and Marketing Supervisor
The Tourism and Marketing Supervisor will lead and deliver tourism projects in line with the Tourism Strategic Plan while building and maintaining relationships provincially, regionally and with surrounding First Nations.
The Tourism and marketing Supervisor will act as the first point of contact for tourism in Fort St. James and the surrounding region. They will negotiate, manage, and monitor contracts and evaluate performance. The ideal candidate will engage, build, and maintain positive working relationships with local hospitality and other small businesses.
This is a skilled position within the tourism and events classification. The Tourism and Marketing Supervisor will be located at the Visitor Information Centre. During the summer hours they will supervise summer students at the Visitor Information Centre, and from time to time within, or around the community. The Tourism and Marketing Supervisor reports directly to the Economic Development Officer.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the delivery of tourism projects within the District of Fort St. James.
- Lead the implementation of the District of Fort St. James Tourism Strategic Plan.
- Maintain and build new relationships provincially, regionally and with surrounding First Nations.
- Act as first point of contact for tourism in Fort St. James and surrounding region.
- Negotiate, manage and monitor contracts, evaluate performance.
- Engage, build and maintain positive working relationships with local hospitality and other small businesses.
- Connect regularly with the media, stakeholders, industry partners, and government agencies.
- Represent the District of Fort St. James at industry events, and or committees/boards.
- Stay informed regarding market trends and research.
- Support the preparation of destination proposals, bids, and funding applications.
- Develop, monitor, and implement the destination strategy and marketing plans reporting regularly on KPIs.
- Work collaboratively with funding and destination partners to leverage provincial funding opportunities.
- Leverage relationships, networks, and contacts to gain support, sponsorship, participation, and exposure for community events.
- Work closely with staff at the District of Fort St. James for major events planning.
- Ensure accurate destination brand messaging, brand representation and brand alignment.
- Manage daily operations of the Visitor Information Centre including marketing initiatives, and finances.
- Provide Quarterly reports to Mayor and Council regarding visitor statistics, status of programs, projects, and budgets.
- Monitor visitor comments, concerns, complaints, and address / action accordingly.
- Prepare reporting documents and annual proposals for funding partners.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate must have;
- Valid BC Driver’s License
- At least two years’ experience in Tourism Marketing and Destination Development
- Strong customer service skills
- Experience in event planning
- Experience writing funding proposals
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Proven ability to build and maintain relationships with First Nations and other industry partners
- Able to manage multiple priorities and competing deadlines
- Strong problem solving and strategic thinking, analytical and time management skills
- Experience developing and implementing brand and organizational strategies, budgets, and achieving results
- Experience working with government/ministry offices
- Proficient with MS Office Suite of Applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Word) and database experience
- Some travel is required with this position
The office hours will follow the Visitor Information Centre open hours (35 hours a week). It may be requested, from time to time, that you will need to work outside of the Visitor Information Centre open hours. The wages will be subject to the District’s collective agreement with CUPE 4951. The hourly rate for this position is $34.94 per hour for 2024. Interested internal employees are invited to apply within 5 working days (Dec 18-22 at 4:30 pm) of this posting and will be considered before external applicants. External candidates are requested to forward their resumes to:
HR Coordinator/Executive Assistant
District of Fort St. James
PO Box 640
Fort St. James, BC V0J 1P0
While we appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.